Tuesday, June 23, 2009

All in Good Time

So, for those of you who are keeping track, it's already been over a week since my last post, and still no referral. I decided to go ahead and call the agency yesterday and found out that our coordinator had been out of town since last Tuesday and would not be back until Tuesday, today. I so wish I would have called sooner and found that out! It would have alleviated a lot of wondering about whether or not the agency was going to call with news. Since I couldn't talk with our coordinator yesterday, I called her today, knowing full well that she wouldn't have news for us, because if she did, she would've called first thing. Talking with Terra was good, even though it didn't give me any answers. She assured me that we would be her first priority when our referral did come, and as soon as all the loose ends were tied up in Rwanda, she would be able to give us the much anticipated call.

That got me to thinking about a cross-cultural communications class I took several semesters ago. Most African cultures are polychromic, time is relative. Deadlines don't mean much and relationship is valued above accomplishing a task. So different for our Western monochromic thinking! We like things done on time and in the order it should be done! Needless to say, I'm chilling out and going to just try and enjoy the wait time. God knows what is best, and He will bring our son to us in His good time.

2 comments:

  1. While we were at the orphanage, we spent time with the 0-12 month olds and I held one crying baby to soothe him. I find myself longing to hear about your referral (and the referrals of the other waiting families) because I've been there, seen the faces, and held some of the kids in my arms.

    This polychromic perspective is very hard for us to understand, but it's definitely how things were when we were in Rwanda! If we found favor with someone, it was so much easier to get things accomplished in a timely manner. I don't know what is holding up your referral, but I'm hoping that you will hear news very soon. May God grant you favor and bring this desire to fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! My name is Torri and I live and work in Rwanda. We too are nearing the end of the adoption process here. I volunteer at the Home of Hope orphanage where all of our children are coming from. There is some information I would like to share with you, if you are interested. Please feel free to e-mail me at tross75@hotmail.com. Congratulations! Torri

    ReplyDelete