Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Readoption

One thing that was kind of foggy to me when we entered this adventure of international adoption was the readoption process. I knew that we needed to readopt Moses in the U.S. once we came home, but I didn't know what the steps were to do that, especially in the state of Wyoming (it's specific from state to state). Some friends of ours in Indiana who adopted two girls from Rwanda were able to do the paperwork themselves, so I was hopeful that we could do something similar. I made a few phone calls to our county government, and after being transferred from office to office, I was told, "Just call an adoption attorney." We called the state government offices, told the same thing. Then we called the Department of Family Services, thinking that they deal with adoption all the time, and they had told us the same thing. We got the hint and called an adoption attorney!

We brought Moses home on an IR-4 visa. This means that we were not present in Rwanda for the court hearing where we were made his permanent guardians, thus necessitating our need for readoption. All his Rwandan documents, including his passport, are all in his Rwandan name. Here in Wyoming, we have to wait for 6 months (since the time we gained custody of him) and go to a court hearing where he is officially adopted as a Limmer. One funny thing the attorney told me is that in Wyoming, it is required to publish a legal notice to the birth parents in the paper (the Casper paper, no less) since we don't have any document where they officially relinquished custody of him. That sounds logical, right? Some very, very pale friends of ours threatened to respond to the ad. Ha ha! I threatened her with her life if she did!

So now we have to wait until March for our court hearing, then we can obtain a Wyoming birth certificate and apply for U.S. citizenship. After that, we'll get his U.S. passport and everything should be squared away. It'll be nice to have almost all of the paperwork done!

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss this post?
    How much you wanna bet I can guess who offered to respond to the paper? :)
    How really, truly, funny and weird is it that you have give notice to all of Casper when his birth family a) won't be in Casper to read it, and b) probably couldn't read English if there were here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this post too! But, I'm glad I read it tonight! Isn't it crazy, the hoops we have to jump through on things like this? But, the great thing is -- no one will respond to the announcement in the paper!! And he will be officially yours before very long! Compared to the years he will be yours, these few months of waiting are nothing!

    It just makes my heart happy when I read about Moses' life with you guys! What a gift you are to him and he is to you!!

    ReplyDelete